Sunday, May 22, 2005

Can't Talk. Watching Star Wars.

Finally saw Ep III today. There was good, and bad--but a lot more good and a lot less bad than the previous two. I don't get it--is George Lucas really just a total dumbass, that he couldn't find a way to make all three movies work at least as well as this one did? I still rate it below the original trilogy (if you're counting, my list of favorites goes IV, V, VI, III, II, I) but it made me want to watch A New Hope again. Which I'm doing, as soon as I finish this post. Letterbox, pre-digital enhancement, Han-Shot-First version. Later I may post a more insightful analysis of the film, but for now I'll just leave you with my friend Jason's brilliant realization from the last 10 minutes of the film: why in the name of god did they not use that shot of Vader's helmet being bolted on as the LAST SHOT OF THE FILM?? It was a perfect final shot. Get all the crap about splitting up the twins out of the way first, then cut to Vader's final assembly on the Frankenstein table....the helmet clamps down.... transformation complete... we hear the first gasping breath.... and the credits roll, Da da DAAAA DAH! We didn't need the dumb "Where's Padme? I killed her? Nooooooo!!!"--that totally didn't work. The helmet bit was so cool, everyone in the audience went "ooo!" and then the film went on for another 10 minutes. Lose 50 cool points, George Lucas.