Friday, January 28, 2005

Another Childhood Memory Destroyed...

So I'm sittin' here, watching this new "Battlestar Galactaca" thing on Sci-Fi. Maybe it's just me, but all the fancy camera work and special effects seem to be cloaking a show striking in its awfulness. Now, I know that the original BSG was also strikingly awful. I think even as a child I knew it was bad, in the same way I knew Space: 1999 was bad... But I loved it all the same. The main memories I can call up about these two shows are 1) Daggit, the robot dog; 2) Dirk Benedict as Starbuck, and 3) The shapeshifting chick with the little balls for eyebrows. The new BSG has none of these. What it does have is a woman with excessively large lips playing New Starbuck. In the episode I'm watching right now, she is having so many timeslip flashbacks that I have totally lost track of what the hell is going on in the main timeline of the plot. Babylon 5, this ain't.

So in a tribute to my lost childhood, I offer this meme: YOUR SENIOR YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL
What year was it? 1987/88.
What were your three favorite bands/music artists? Styx. The Grateful Dead. Jimmy Buffet. How's that for eclectic?
What was your favorite outfit? Capone's. Oh, no, wait. Levi denim jacket and jeans, oxford shirt.
What was up with your hair? Pretty much what's up with it now, only a tad longer.
Who were your best friends? In school, probably Tiffany and Jaymi. Outside school, no doubt the unsinkable Mara.
What did you do after school? Theatre. Star Trek re-runs. And miniatures painting.
Did you take the bus? A'course not, I went to a snotty private school that didn't even have a bus! I drove a '79 Ford Grenada, silver with dark red interior.
Who did you have a crush on? Nobody. I didn't go in much for crushes.
Did you fight with your parents? Almost never. (OK, the new BSG got even worse in the last 10 minutes of the episode. Big Lips ship is on fire, and she's punching out into SPACE. It's times like this I wish my remote worked.)
Who did you have a celebrity crush on? Aw....ok, Julie Andrews.
Did you smoke cigarettes? Good god, no.
Did you lug all of your books around in your backpack all day because you were too nervous to find your locker? Huh? Again, small private school--my locker was hard to lose. I do, however, still have fairly intense anxiety dreams about forgetting my locker combination. I have no idea what triggers this.
Did you have a clique? I had a gang. Is that like a clique?
Did you have "The Max" like Zach, Kelly and Slater? Like Jane, I had no idea what the hell this meant. Apparently, it's a "Saved by the Bell" reference. Anyway, all of Broad Ripple was probably our hangout.
Admit it, were you popular? Not popular, not unpopular. I was well-liked, but still not invited to the party where the police showed up and arrested half the senior class.
Who did you want to be just like? Dang, I dunno. Julie Andrews?
What did you want to be when you grew up/what did you think you'd be doing at the age you are now?A scenic designer. I was all about the theatre right up through college. Of course, if I'd gone the television designer route, I might have been able to prevent BSG 2005 from being foisted onto an unsuspecting public....